The First Amendment is regularly tested by the events and technology of a given time in the U.S. Among the plethora of free speech issues today are:
• Should an author’s or artist’s reprehensible conduct cause the suppression of his or her works?
• Should hate speech or “fake news” on the internet be regulated?
• How does one resolve the tension between privacy and free speech?
• On college campuses, how does one protect the free speech rights of both speakers and protesters?
In each case, one must diligently work for solutions that do not compromise the important values of free speech.
– Michael Bamberger, Senior Counsel, Dentons