It is certainly odd to picture now, but for more than 25 years, the Washington Monument was only partially built.
Construction ceremonially began on July 4, 1848, though excavation had already been underway. But in 1854, donations ran out when the monument’s height reached 152 feet, and amidst political infighting, the American Civil War and Reconstruction, the monument stayed at that height.
It took until 1879 for construction to begin again, and new ceremonies were held to christen the re-start. The dedication to George Washington was held in 1885 and the monument officially opened to the public on Oct. 9, 1888.
– Alex Simon, The 100 Companies