On this day in 1791, the United States of America ratified the Bill of Rights. To celebrate, we bring to you a few facts you might not know:
• While the Bill of Rights comprises 10 amendments, it originally had 12. The first two proposed were never ratified.
• The Bill of Rights was influenced by George Mason‘s Declaration of Rights for Virginia. George Mason, a champion of individual liberties, previously refused to sign the Constitution.
• While Article I was not originally ratified, 203 years later it became Amendment XXVII.
• The original Bill of Rights lives with the Constitution in the National Archives.
– Margot Calmar, The 100 Companies